Friday, November 4

Panera Inspired Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Understandably my first food blog post should be a recipe that could be served wonderfully on a platter but with it cooling down- and me not feeling so hot- I was craving some soup! It has gotten awfully chilly here in Middle Tennessee and I didn't feel like driving 20 minutes away to Panera to get soup. So what's a girl to do?! Find a recipe on Foodgwaker. [If you haven't checked out this site, you really should. Go...now. I promise you'll thank me later.]

The basic/base of the recipe is from The Little Girl's Guide to Sugar and Spice, but I did some tweaking of my own. Admittedly, I took some pictures during the cooking process, but they are not too glorious or pretty so I'll just give you the finished product. [Note to self: work on food staging for photographs] 

Just a forewarning, the soup is really cheesy and rich- but just the way I like it. Hope you all enjoy!



Broccoli-Cheddar Soup:

4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely diced (approximately ½ cup)
5 snack size celery sticks or two stalks, finely diced (approximately ½ cup)
1 carrot, grated (approximately ½ cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped broccoli (about two heads)
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups milk
1/3 cup half and half, twice…that’s right I kept adding.
1/2 cup flour
2 ½ to 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (I did 3, but it's your call!)
Dash of nutmeg (no more than ¼ teaspoon)
Salt and pepper

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic and carrots and cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.

Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken (yay starch!) and once it's thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheddar. Then add the 1/3 cup half and half two times. Throw in the nutmeg and stir. Finally salt and pepper to taste. Serve with nicely toasted French baguettes!

---

As always, thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend!

- Allie


***
What kind of recipe would you like to see next? Let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment